Friday, November 18, 2011

James WILLIAMS ELEMENTARY . . . . hold onto your cowboy hats!

So after a false start to Kaiden's start to school Wed 16th November was Kaiden's 1st day at school.

Just for a little background . . . . . I took Kaiden to start school on Monday 7th Nov but his immunisation history was missing. The school wouldn't let him start until that was handed in and checked by the school nurse. Bugger! So I thought, no worries. I will get it from Medicare online. Went to access Medicare online and instead of signing up and getting access right away they send you your password in the mail to your registered address. Great that they are protecting your details but not so great when you need access to some things while you are 1/2 way around the world. There must be some other way! Apparently not. After a week of waiting I phoned Medicare again to beg someone to help me. I totally lucked out. I explained our situation and that I'd been waiting over a week yet still nothing had been received and I needed the info so my son could start school . . . bla bla blaah . . . She started whispering and said, I'll just look up the password that was sent to you and then you can access it yourself online. What an angel! Small thing . . . . well maybe not. I think she was breaking all kinds of rules to help me but common sense and kindness won out and we got what I needed. Printed it off and got it to the school the next morning. Got the phone call from the school nurse that afternoon confirming Kaiden could start the next day. Hallelujah!
I drove him in and we took care of things with the registrar then she took us both to meet his teacher & his new class. It was nice to be with him as he met his class and teacher. I said goodbye then left him to it. I knew he'd be fine but still there was that little bit of nervousness as I walked away. You know, wanting your baby to be OK and you just having to leave him to take care of it himself. Arhhh . . . . that is my heart walking around outside my chest again!

So 3.30 came quickly and I went to pick him up. They have an amazing system for picking up your kids.  Works well. Cars line up with ID showing in the window then it's written down by a teacher on duty then radio'd to another teacher with the kids. Then as you drive up to the front of the school, out come the kids in order of the cars picking them up. All the kids have their ID on their bags & it must match the ID you have hanging from your mirror or the child can't go with you. And the kids are walked to the car by one of the senior kids (yr 5's) It's all very ordered and very systematic. Very impressive.
So I picked him up & he jumped into the car and said with a frown,
"This is the worst school ever. I hate it!" So I calmly asked questions and just listened to him talk with my heart in my mouth and my mind racing a mile a minute trying to think of how I could make this right or at the very least, better. You know how stubborn he is. Yeah, I know. I don't know where he gets it from either. Must be from the Dexter side of the gene pool. Anyway we were a little way down the road when he said "I can't believe you fell for that Mum" I asked what he meant and he said with a laugh "I had a good 1st day. I like the school, it's pretty good. ha ha ha. I got you good didn't I?" My response was simply a loud "Oh thank goodness!" Then we had a real chat about his day which was a good one. Phew!!! He'll send me to an early grave!!! Needless to say we are pretty relieved. We went out for a Jumba Juice & ribs (Kaiden's favourite) to celebrate his 1st day at school in Texas.

Day two . . . . Kaiden had another great day. He caught the bus home which he loved. He was the first one off the bus this afternoon. He bounded out the door with big hugs for me. What a way to be greeted! A happy Kaiden is a happy Mum. That is all I want . . . for him to be happy!! I am so thankful he's had a good start to school. Here's to a great school year! Cheers!!

No comments: