Thursday, September 25, 2008

Showing my age . . . .

Dan sent this to me in an email and I thought it was great so here it is to share with all of you and also a reminder to me that yes, I am getting OLDER . . . . . Yeah ok Simon, you ARE over 30 too!

THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD

If you are 30 or older you will think this is hilarious!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears
with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up.
What with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning…uphill and barefoot. Both ways.
yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up,
there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it.
And how easy they’ve got it

But now that I am over the ripe old age of 30, I can’t help but look around and notice the youth of today.
You’ve got it so easy.
I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia

And I hate to say it, but you kids today don’t know how good you’ve got it

I mean, when I was a kid we didn’t have the Internet.
If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves.
In the card catalogue!!

There was no email. We actually had to write someone a letter….with a pen!
Then you had to walk all the way to the nearest mailbox and post it.
And it would take like a week to get there!!

We didn’t have mobile phones. We had to make sure we always had phone money with us and find a damn phone box.
One that worked, which they usually didn’t. No change, no phone call. That was that.

If we had to meet our friends, we had to organise it the day before.
And turn up at the designated spot, on time. There was no texting to say you’re going to be late.
Be there….or have no mates.

There were no MP3’s or Napsters. If you wanted to steal music,
you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself.
Or...you had to wait around all day to try and tape it off the radio.
And the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#%* it all up!!

We didn’t have fancy crap like Call Waiting. If you were on the phone and somebody else called
….they got a busy signal. That’s it.

And we didn’t have Caller ID either. When the phone rang,
you had no idea who it was. It could be your school, your mum, your boss,
your bookie, your drug-dealer…a collections agent.
You just didn’t know. You had to pick it up and take your chances Mister!!

We didn’t have fancy Sony Playstation Games with high resolution 3D graphics.
We had the Atari 2600 with games like ‘Space Invaders’ and ‘Asteroids’.
Your guy was a little square!! You actually had to use your imagination!!
And there were no multiple levels or screens.
There was just one screen…FOREVER. And you could never win.
The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster,
until you died. Just like life!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on TV.
You were screwed when it came to channel surfing,
you had to get up off your ass and actually walk to the TV to change the channel.
And if you missed your favourite show…TOO DAMN BAD.
There were no downloads or hard-drive playbacks.
You just had to rely on your friends for a recap!

And there was no Cartoon Network.
You could only get cartoons on Saturday mornings.
Do you hear what I am saying???
We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!!

And we didn’t have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up,
we actually had to use the stove…imagine that???

That’s exactly what I am talking about.
You kids today have got it too easy. You’re spoiled.
You wouldn’t have lasted 5 minutes back in 1980!!

Regards,

The Over 30 Crowd

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Oh...I was going to blog that one...you beat me to it. I still might, next week or something. We have a different fan base!! ha ha

How much did you laugh?? xoxo

ps. Especially about taping songs off the radio!!

Kelly said...

I know that was funny and I HATED it when the DJ would talk over the start or the end of the song when you were recording it! It used to tick me off!!
They just forgot to mention something about friday night skating! Arhh, those were the days (:

megan said...

I think you should feel sorry for me, i had all that and I live in the country. I didn't even get cartoons on Saturday, I only got the ABC, I think the news was on on Saturday morning...Oh, I feel sorry for me:)

xoxo