Tuesday, May 5, 2009

New York City . . . .

So we have packed up our apartment & have said most of our good-byes to Denver. It has been a crazy time. After only getting about 3 or so weeks to get everything organised & done it seems like we haven't had time to do anything in the last month. But it is done & our things are on their way home . . . . WEIRD & I now, like it or not . . .
It is all very much real & we are heading home . . . .
But not before we have a few more adventures.
You know a couple for the road . . . .

First cab off the rank is NEW YORK CITY . . . .

We arrived on Monday afternoon & headed straight for our Hotel in Manhattan. Amazingly enough we arrived in one piece. I tell you, those taxi drivers really are insane. Simon & I were constantly giving each other looks & smiles as he zipped through the city streets cutting other vehicles off, almost running over pedestrians & he even almost took out a guy in his wheelchair who was scooting down the road for what ever reason. He really was taking our lives into his hands. No fear (just a little really) we made it to the Hudson Hotel which was just near Columbia Circle a few block from Times Square. It was perfectly located. As I said, it was just down the road from Times Square and Columbia Circle which is just across the road from Central Park. Of course we were close to the subway - everyone is close to the subway in NYC but we made good use of it to get around so it was handy to have it at the end of our block.

After settling into our 'Cubicle', excuse me, I meant to say our Hotel room. Okay, let me explain. We walked into our Hotel room & Simon wasn't impressed to say the least & I will spare you his comments. Of course Kaiden had his opinion to share as well. I kind of thought it was a little funny myself but it wasn't a popular opinion in those first couple of days. Seriously our room was a Cubicle and Kaiden kept referring to it as our 'Cubic Square' I know space is a premium in NYC but this was pretty crazy. Our room only had room for our Queen size bed (Double bed in Aust.) with a tiny side table at each side, then with an inch later if your lucky & you have the wall. The bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen. Simon's knee's hit the wall when he sat if you know what I mean & there was barely enough room for the tiny shower & sink. But they were there so we should be grateful. There was really only room for a large suite case above the coat rail behind the front door. Luckily we only ever travel with carry ons so it was fine. You don't go to NYC to spend time in your room anyway, so it was totally fine, just amazing to experience & honestly I think it added to it.

I know this looks spacious but believe me when I say . . . it wasn't. This actually shows both corners of the back wall behind the bed.
Kaiden is standing in the entrance & behind the other half of the curtain is the bathcorner. It's not fair to call it a room.








Our first night was spent exploring Columbia Circle, Times Square & grabbing some genuine NYC Pie for dinner (Pizza Pie) at a local establishment. The boys were impressed so that's all that matters. Seriously their pizza is ginormous & now I wish I had of taken a photo of Kaiden eating a slice because I think it was bigger than his head. Anyway, it was a fun night & we were ready for what ever the Big Apple had in store for us (as long as it was safe).
Simon & Kaiden in Times Square which was incredibly busy. But hey, it is New York after all.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

More jealous of THAT than any of the lakes, ski slopes, west coast and animals!!! 23 months and I am there baby!! Tell them I'm coming and I want a bigger room!!!!!! xo

ps. When are you arriving home?

Kristen said...

We miss you lots! Hope you have lots of safe travels!

Kelly said...

Yeah, NY is pretty awesome!!

Not exactly sure when we'll be home.

Probably in the last week of June. Simon is due back at work July 1st.