Simon is back in heaven and we can stop listening to him moan and groan for the snow. Finally and I say finally because that is how Simon feels about being back in the mountains for ski season. This year though we decided that we would learn how to snow board. We kind of wanted more of a challenge this year and Kaiden was keen so here we are.
We really have been lucky when it comes to instructors. Kaiden had a great instructor which he loves - Shanel. We had Nic Nolan who was fantastic. He rides professionally and is sponsored by Salomon. He was really great and turned out to be a great guy as well.

While Kaiden and I slowly took to our new found sport, Simon just took to it like a duck to water. He was great. Looked very relaxed and comfortable. He definitely was the star of the class. It is kind of funny because Simon and I have done a complete 180 this year. Last year I was the one who was hooning down the mountain and Simon was more tentative and over thinking everything and this year he's the one tearing it up and I am the more cautious one. Seriously though, he is doing awesome!!


We've both taken a hard hit though. On the last run of the second day Simon came flying down a really steep part of a run and I had just said to one of the other guys in our group . . . wow, look at him and just after I said that he hit the dirt. Or should I say the snow. He was fine but he really took a hard hit. He lay there in the snow for a bit so he could catch his breath. He hurt his ribs on the right side. He was sore for a little bit but was out there the next day ready to go.
I on the other hand had someone slam into me and take me out on the Saturday afternoon of the second weekend. He was going way too fast and couldn't stop and just ploughed into me. He knocked me off my feet and spun me around while landing at least 10 feet down the mountain. I had the wind knocked out of me and I mean literally. They were asking me if I was ok but I couldn't breath let alone talk. Poor Simon came over the hill and saw me sprawled out on the ground. I was quite shaken because I just didn't see it coming. I had a sore chest, collar bones and neck but once I got myself together (and it took me a good 10 mins) I was most annoyed to discover the guys board had cut my pants. Bugger. It was the first time I'd worn them. That's not fair. RUDE!! Oh yeah, there was a little cut and a big bruise on my leg as well but HE CUT MY PANTS!! Luckily since then, I have been able to exchange them since I'd only worn them the once.
So Kaiden had been doing such a great job at learning to board and had a really great attitiude we decided to get him a well done gift. A helmet hat. So we went into the town and he tried some on. He is a sample of what he liked . . . .

And the lucky winner is . . . this is the one he chose and he LOVES it. I tell you what, it makes him easy to spot on the slopes. He's had lots of strangers compliment him on it. He just beams.
The next day I just hung out with Kaiden because I didn't feel like doing too much as I was still very sore and Kaiden wanted to show me what he could do on his board. Simon took off to get in another lesson which was good because we just potted around all day and took it easy. Simon was up for a more energetic day which apparently he got. He ventured onto some black and blue black runs. Needless to say he got a great work out.
On the way home on the Thanksgiving weekend we actually got stuck in Frisco because the weather was so bad. It had been snowing for 4 days straight and the wind had picked up. Anyway, as we were heading toward Frisco Simon got a text from a guy at work asking if it would be ok if he didn't get back to Denver because of the weather could he work from where he was. Simon's reply was " Well if you don't make it into work because of the weather then I guess I wont make it either cause I am behind you" As it was they closed the I70 which is the highway back to Denver for the night and all of a sudden there was a mad rush to get a hotel. Luckily we rang ahead and booked a room so we spent that night soaking in a hot tub. Arhhhhh, so nice. He head home the next morning. Just a little something to add to the adventure!!
4 comments:
I was just about to say I love your pants (whole outfit actually) and then i read the part about the guy ripping your pants! Good thing you got to exchange it... Kaiden looks gorgeous in his helmet hat, Kiara will love to see that pic in the morning. You look great by the way
xo Mel
Hey Kel,
Love the updated look of your blog; beautiful colour for Christmas. I think it's all fabulous. Love the photo of you particularly; a great photo. All the photo's in the snow are great. The whole blog is a wonderful snapshot of your time in the USA, it's a great way to keep a 'memory' of your travels and experiences.
Love You. Mum xoxox
I loved Kaiden's snow hat.....it's something else!!! How funny and cute is that? You Kelly, look gorgeous....you truly do. What a fabulous photo and Simon's is great also.
love Mum xox
Kaiden's hat is too funny!
You all look very cool out there on the slopes! I would have been spewing about my pants too. But, as I would have just been strutting around the resort and shops in them, they wouldn't have got ripped! ha ha xo
Post a Comment