Kaiden and I went to the dentist last week - It was my once in a decade check up and it was Kaiden's 1st time at the dentist . . . I know, I am a bad mother. He should have gone years ago but I have this thing about dentists . . . . no, nothing to do with pain and drills and scary stuff, just that every time I have been to the dentist in the past, ooh I don't know, lifetime, they charge me $120 and say "Thanks you have great teeth". I am 38 and up until yesterday had only one filling in my mouth. Dentists rip you off and that is why I hate going. So I decided I had put off taking Kaiden for too long and I had better get it together, suck it up and take the poor child before all his teeth decay. Well, it seems that we must have been doing something right because Kaiden has exactly zero cavities - maybe more to do with my good teeth genes but anyway, I was thrilled and Kaiden was awesome. I thought I should set the example and have an appointment as well, you know so he could see what it was all about and know that the Dentist wasn't a big deal and nothing to be scared about. So I went first . . . . Kaiden talking the whole time asking the dentist all sort of questions and sticking his little nose into my mouth to see just what was going on. Not even half way through my check another Dentist came in and asked if Kaiden wanted to get started or wait for me. "Okay" he says, jumps up and walks out of the room and into the one next door. The dentist asked me if I had any concerns or questions before she started. I said, "No, I don't but I bet Kaiden will have a tone" When I was done I went into see how he was doing. He's propped up in the chair all laid back and comfortable with his funky little yellow glasses on, mouth wide open. No drama, no big deal at all. He was a champion! I don't know why I thought he would be any different. At the end of it all he was given his little goody bag of floss and toothpaste etc. He was thrilled. You get presents! Bonus! As we were leaving I said "You were great Kaiden, good job!" His reply' "Thanks, it was fun!" I just smiled. How many kids think going to the dentist is fun?
So anyway, I have an extra tooth that has been on the inside of my bottom teeth for years. Don't know why it is there or what it is doing but when I went for the check up the dentist said he'd pull it out while I was numbed up for my filling on the same side. Simple enough but I had to go back this week too for fillings and for them to pull out my extra mutant tooth. Of course it wasn't a complimentary extraction. It took all of about 30 seconds and I will get the bill later. Brilliant! Just love the dentist!
Anyway, I have finally gotten to the point of my story. I kept the little tooth to show Kaiden when he got home from school. He asked me if I was going to put it under my pillow for the Tooth Fairy and when I said "Don't know" he offered to put it under his pillow for the Tooth Fairy but because it would be under his pillow he should score the cash. Smart boy. Anyway I needed a dollar bill to put under his pillow and Simon and I didn't have one between the two of us so I went looking for Kaiden's money to do a swap. I couldn't find it anywhere. Then the bulb went off . . . . tomorrow is school store day. They don't sell food or anything like that, they sell a bunch on different crap that all the kids feel compelled to buy only to have it break before the end of the day thus creating the need to buy more next week. It's the brilliant plan of the schools fundraising committee. Brilliant because it works. So I looked in his bag. He had a wad of cash rolled up ready and waiting. The wad was $11 in total. That is something I hate about American cash. When you open your wallet it really looks like you have a tone of cash only to realise that you only have $13 all in $1 bills. Very disappointing. But the little toad was taking his stash to blow it all on the school store. I have to say though, he had mentioned it to me this morning while flashing his $15 and I just said "You aren't spending all of it" And left it at that. Well, he must have remembered because he'd only put $11 in his bag and put the other $4 in his piggy bank. He was being obedient but still a little over the top. Nice one Kaiden. He'll be bummed in the morning when I tell him he can only spend $2 and even that is too much for my liking but it's been a bit of a special week so I will let him. Unbelievable.
The mind of our little guy keeps us on our toes that is for sure. Bless his beautiful little heart.
1 comment:
I am with you...I HATE the dentist. My kids LOVE it. I think we go to the most expensive dentist on the planet....but it is like spending an hour on the set of 'Barney' and they love it. They also love the showbag, complete with helium balloons, they get at the end. Personally, I wish they'd keep their stupid showbags and charge me $50 less instead.
What is 'the school shop'? xo
Post a Comment