Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Easter

I know Easter was 2 weeks ago but since I was MIA I thought I would write a quick something about it now.

Easter in America is practically non existent. I can't believe in the land of 'Holidays' they don't really celebrate Easter. They have big celebrations for Valentine's Day, Thanksgiving, Halloween, 4th of July, Christmas although it is just called 'the Holidays' for fear of offending the minority and they even make a big deal about St Patrick's Day but do you think the holiday celebrating the Saviour of the world could rate a mention? NO! Bloody ridiculous! America has gone completely insane! You see it is all about being politically correct. Apart from walking into the supermarket you wouldn't have even known it was Easter. I thought that Kaiden would be doing something at school for Easter because they have a class party for everything else (the above mentioned holidays) On Good Friday (a work & school day for everyone) I was helping in Kaiden's class, so I thought . . . . it will be interesting to see what they do for Easter. NOTHING! They were studying eggs and the different types of animals that lay eggs but not one single mention of Easter or what it means. Not even the pagan money making side of Easter was mentioned. NOTHING! I am appalled to say the least. I understand that there are many different religions and cultures around these days but I don't see why you can't touch on them all. Or at least those that are relevant to the class.

Thank goodness we were able to go to Church on Easter Sunday & contemplate what Easter is really all about. It is an amazing holiday and one day everyone will realise it's significance.

When every knee shall bow & every tongue confess,
Jesus is the CHRIST
. . . . the Lord of all.

4 comments:

Danielle said...

Wow Kell....you obviously don't live in sunny So Cal!! According to blog-world....Easter in sunny California is all new pretty dresses, Easter picnics and egg-hunts. It looks like a set from 'Steele Magnolias'. Very cute.

What I find weird is all the plastic eggs. They use plastic eggs and real dyed eggs....not chocolate like us. It's all about the chocolate in Oz!!

I can't believe they don't have Good Friday off. I am glad for our Catholic based heritage then. I love that Zach learns about Easter at school for 40 days and 40 nights before Easter Sunday. It is all about Jesus over here.

I spoke to my 3 yr old nephew yesterday. He has just started Catholic Kindy. Their dog died...and he was telling me that they are all sad...but it's ok because Jesus died on the cross at Christmas...so Rex would be fine. I had to correct him on the 'doctorine'...but gosh it was cute.

Ok...my comment is longer than your blog-entry...I am going now. xo

Kelly said...

I know. It is really wierd. And you're right about the plastic eggs. They put different types of candy in the eggs instead of using choc eggs. But I can't blame them really. American choc is bloody awful! Give me Cadbury's anyday thank you!

Bob said...

Perhaps while Kaiden was in class on Good Friday learning about animals and eggs, they were trying to figure out how bunnies lay eggs......multi coloured ones and all!

Danielle said...

good to see you here Bob!! i was starting to feel like a no-mate, being the only responder!! :o)