Thursday, May 7, 2009

NYC continued

So we woke up to some showers which was a little regrettable but that didn't stop us. We spent all day outside enjoying the city. As I mentioned we were staying not too far away from Central Park which is one of my favourite places in NY. I first visited NYC when I was 19 so it has been a while. Stop counting . . . . it's been 19 years ok. Yes, I am getting old. Moving on . . . .

As I was saying we spent almost all day in Central Park. There is so much to do and it is SOOO BIG. We walked over more than half of it's 843 acres. We started in the South West corner and weaved our way through the park half was around the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassi s Reservoir. Believe me when I tell you, it was a LOT of walking. We ran, climbed & walked our way all around the park. Kaiden had a ball. He performed his own little show on one of the bowls in the park, had one of the parks busker's play the pink panther for him and chased all the birds he could find. All in a days play really. You know how it is. We headed back from there as time getting on. We headed over to 'the Pond' and then walked along 59th Street where Kaiden insisted on getting a hotdog from on of the corner carts. He had been told by a friend in Denver to have a famous hotdog from a street vendor in NYC so we did, then headed back towards our Hotel. We had many more things to do . . . .

Kaiden chasing birds in 'the Mall' & K & k at 'the Pond'

It really is a world all of it's own. Amazing that it is in the middle of Manhattan

Something I have wanted to do since I was a little girl . . . .

A little background . . . . when I was 11, 12 years old I played baseball in an all girls team but in a boys league. I LOVED baseball and softball. Anyway, Mum would wake me up at midnight some nights to watch the baseball on t.v. Usually the World Series & way back when, it was almost always the Yankees playing, so I developed a love for the Yankees. Then when I was 19 I came to the US to row (skull) & we were based in Boston for most of our stay which is when I developed a love for Boston and the Red Sox. To a real baseball fan in the US this is unheard of. You simply can't love them both. In fact if you love one you HATE the other. Except when you come from
Australia you can get away with it. Except I would never admit that to a Yankee's fan or a Red Sox fan. Except for Keith cause he may understand being married to a Geelong loving Victorian (: Go for the Pies Keith - Be Strong & stick with Justin. Infact at the airport I asked a customer service guy where I could find some tickets for the game & the first thing he asked me was "are you a Red Sox fan?" I said NOOOOO & then smiled shook my hand & helped me out with some helpful info. I aint stupid!

Anyway I digress . . . . what a surprise . . . .

So, just by chance the New York Yankees happened to be playing a 2 game series against the Boston Red Sox at Yankee Stadium. Can you believe that. It was fate!! Yep, that's what it was!! So I went on line to see how kind fate would be in the ticket department. Surely we wouldn't be able to find any tickets . . . . Well we did & off we went. We caught the subway to the Bronx for the game of a lifetime (for me anyway) I was so excited. Like a kid on Christmas morning. So needless to say going to the new Yankee Stadium (just opened this season) to watch them play was awesome but to watch them play the Red Sox was unbelievable!. We watched the Sox win in the rain but I really didn't care. Something I really didn't think we would get to do! We had a blast.

No comments: