I have to say that our Nation & in particular, Victorians have just had too much sadness forced upon them over the past couple of weeks. The bush fires in Victoria have just been overwhelmingly devastating. I have spoken to Mum & Dad several times & had emails from friends in Vic & I have been following the updates on the Internet. It is the same sad story each time except with every conversation and every article, more and more sadness & destruction each day. It has brought me to tears several times. Dad was telling me that it isn't even being called a bush fire, rather a fire storm because of how it has literally swept across the land destroying everything in it's path. Winds up to 120 km/hr have just made the fires almost impossible to control let a lone stop. It has just been so sad to hear & read about this horrible disaster that has hit my home. Thankfully all of my family are safe & well but I know many many people have lost loved ones & all they own.

Mum & Dad have spent the last 2 Christmas' in the beautiful town of Marysville. It was literally burnt to the ground. Many people lost their lives in Marysville because the fires were so quick & so intense that many many people just didn't have a chance. There are still a lot of people missing presumed dead. It will take a long long time to rebuild what was lost, if ever. The land is so scared that it will take decades to return to it's former beauty.
There are scenes like this all over the State. Towns just burnt to the ground with thousands of houses lost & sadly hundreds of people dead. Sheer HORROR!
Of course the wild life have suffered as well. There have been many photos of animals that have been affected too but this is one is just amazing. This picture of the Koala says it all. Koalas in the wild don't naturally come in contact with people. They would never do this in any normal circumstance but this obviously isn't one of those times. I have seen several pictures of Koalas seeking water from people because there simply isn't any anywhere else. People are not the only ones who have lost everything.When you say your prayers tonight in your comfy home with your healthy & happy family, spare a thought or two for the people of Victoria who have lost their homes, their loved ones & their livelihood. There are also many who are severely injured. Don't forget to ask a blessing on the dedicated Fire-Fighters both the professionals & the volunteers, the Police & the average Joe who has stepped up to help those in need. It is in times like these that the true Aussie Spirit shines through. Mate helping Mate & Stranger helping Stranger just because that is what is needed. I have no doubt that Victoria will slowly move forward & eventually get through this devastating time. I just wish like all Aussies, they didn't have to.
3 comments:
I've been thinking about you lots when hearing and reading about this story. I know you're not from here, but you served your mission here. I asked Adam if he had heard of any of the places with the most devastation and he said he didn't, but, goodness! Marysville just ISN'T anymore. What devastation. I'm glad your family is all okay, and though that doesn't make it any less horrific for all the people who have lost loved ones (or their own lives), I'm glad it's not your dear ones. I'm sorry, Kelly.
Thanks Becker, you're a sweetie.
Actually I am from VIctoria. I was born there and we moved to Perth when I was 17. I went back every year until I was called there on a mission at 22. I still consider myself a Victorian even though I haven't lived there for many years. All of my Mum's family are still there and of course my Mum and Dad.
Thank you for your best wishes and as selfish as I feel it sounds when you say it out loud . . . I am thankful that none of my family were caught up in all this and they are all safe.
Well...you know how I feel about the whole thing. It has just been awful. That coupled with the horrific floods...it seems never-ending. Then I read a report that another massive chunk of Antarctica has come away....I am guessing these extreme weather conditions are never going to end...until the end. Scary! xo
Post a Comment