Friday, October 24, 2008

Hurricane Averted . . . .

As I was thinking towards postponing or even cancelling our trip to Mexico, my husband chimes in with "We'll be fine, no worries" And you know what? We were. The weather was beautiful all week. I think we had a few clouds the first day and after that .. .. .. perfection.

The Pueblo Bonito Rose - the beach was directly behind me as I took the photo.

We stayed in the Pueblo Bonito Rose which is right on El Médano Beach, in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. We met Tiffany there. She stayed 5 days and we stayed 8. It really is a great place to just sit in the sun and relax. We pretty much planned one activity a day and spent the rest of the day swimming in the Sea of Cortez or the resorts pool, lazing around on the beach and shopped.

This was the view from our balcony.

In Cabo you can sit on the beach and have every type of vendor coming up to you trying to sell you their stuff. "Very cheap. Almost free! Let's make a deal" are all common phrases you will hear. There is a rope that is the resort boundary and the sellers aren't aloud to cross over that line. They are really strict about. It is supposed to keep you from being harassed by the many vendors on the beach. They sell everything from Silver Jewellery (Mexico has the biggest silver mine in the world) Shell and Beaded Jewellery (these ladies would also braid your hair), Pottery, Woodwork, Hats, Sunnies, Dresses & T-shirts, hammocks, henna tattoos, braided name bracelets and they will even write your name on a grain of rice and make it into a necklace, fruit & drinks, Bags and even Blankets. It's supposed to keep you from being harassed but it doesn't really. They don't really harass you but if you show any interest that is their 'in'. The vendors have to all wear white as their uniforms so if the huge pile of clothes, jewellery or pottery hanging from limb possible isn't a clue, their uniforms clinch it. If you don't know any Spanish, the first two words you need to learn are "No Gracias!" You say that about 100 times a day if you are on the beach. It sounds annoying but you get used to it and it really isn't a big deal. But it is an eye opener.

Fresh Fruit anyone?






Simon & Kaiden lazing on the beach

Tiffany, Kelly, Kaiden & Simon

The first night the four of us had dinner at the one of the resort resuarants. It over looks the beach so in the early evening the weather and the view were perfect. Yummy food as well. I had the lamb which is becoming my thing since we are away from home. Not too much lamb in the States, so I make the most of it when we are out.

4 comments:

megan said...

Are you just having the best time ever over there??? Are you ever going to want to come home? I am sooo jealous. The weather looks fantastic for a nice relaxing stay away from home.

speaking of which, when are you coming home?

If it isn't early next year I may have to come for a visit...really. Daniel went to Turkey a couple of weeks ago and I am now thinking I need to go on a holiday.

Chat soon
Love Meg
xoxo

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness! You can't just say stuff like that. I am like a dog with a bone when it comes to stuff like that. Just ask Colleen. Yes you definatley have to come for a visit. We aren't sure when we'll be home just because Simon finishes at the end of April but he has 2 months long service at the end of that so it could be anytime between the end of April and the end of June.
Tell me about Turkey? We have to chat!!

Danielle said...

So girls...why don't either of you ever comment on my blog?? Is it because I don't go on any world travels??

Hmmmphhh....

Kelly said...

Hardly . . . I am just catching up on mine then I will venture to yours. And I do comment thank you!See you soon.